Never, in our lifetime, have we seen such devastation and the destruction of marriages and families, as we see today in our volatile culture. It seems that every component of society today is the sworn enemy of traditional marriage and family. From the redefining of the family by governments, to Hollywood’s mockery and portrayal of the broken family through shows like “Family Guy”, “Desperate Housewives”, and the like, Americans AND Christians have lost view of what a family or marriage should be anymore. Statistics are staggering, yet ignored by most until they themselves become one of the statistics. In the end, home after home is being ravaged by the storms of life and falling because they are not built to last.
The reality is, homes ARE being destroyed by Satan every single day! I believe He is winning the battle for our homes!!!!
- 68% of 18 year olds have commited fornication
- 41.3 percent women give birth out of wedlock.
- 1996, 70 percent of inmates in state juvenile detention centers serving long-term sentences were raised by single mothers. Seventy-two percent of juvenile murderers and 60 percent of rapists come from single-mother homes. 70 percent of teenage births, dropouts, suicides, runaways, juvenile delinquents, and child murderers involve children raised by single mothers.
- 60% of marriages end in divorce, with primary factors including finances and/or adultery.
- Over 1.2 million abortions annually. 66 percent of all abortions are obtained by unmarried women. More than one-third of all teenage pregnancies in the U.S. end in abortion.
- In the next twenty four hours, 15,006 Teens will use drugs for the first time, 1,439 Teens will attempt suicide, 3,506 Teens will run away.
These are but a few of the heartbreaking statistics that reveal the true condition of families in our broken culture today! The problem is, TODAY’S FAMILIES ARE NOT BUILT TO LAST!! Families don’t know how to cope the fiery darts of Satan and when the storms and winds begin to blow, their marriages and families fail to endure, because they are not built upon the Rock and their house comes crashing down.
Jesus illustrates this truth so powerfully in Matthew 7 as He sets forth the parable of the wise man and foolish man. The foolish man builds his house upon the sand, but the wise man builds his house upon the rock. The Bible reminds us Psalm 127:1, “Except the Lord build the house, they labor in vain which build it.” The point is, that if you desire your family and marriage to stand the test of time and weather the storms of life, you must be a doer of God’s Word. Build on God’s Word! Establish your home on Biblical principles, not the quicksand of the world’s philosophy!
Purpose to build your home upon the Rock, the Lord Jesus Christ and His Word. Honor God in your life and home. This is how your family and marriage will weather the storms. A home that is built to last is:
- Built On The Savior– 1Co 3:11 For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ. The only real foundation one can build on is Jesus Christ. All other ground is sinking sand! Building to last begins with accepting Christ as your Savior. By trusting Jesus as your Savior, you are indwelt by the Holy Spirit and given all things that pertain to life and godliness. You must have God’s power to live the Christian life and produce a fruitful marriage and family. It is a spiritual work.
- Built On The Scripture– In Matthew 7:24, Jesus declares, “Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:” The Word of God does us no good until we begin to live it daily in our homes. It does us no good until we begin to raise our children in the nurture and admonition of the Lord. It does us no good until we live our wives as Christ loved the church. Get the point?
- Built To Stand– Mat 7:25 “And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.” Christ unequivocally declares that a home built to last MUST be built on the TRUTH, God’s Word. It’s not being a hearer, but a DOER that counts. Speaking of counting, Jesus said in Luk 14:28 “For which of you, intending to build a tower, sitteth not down first, and counteth the cost, whether he have sufficient to finish it?” Let me say, there is a huge price to pay when your house comes crumbling down around you. Just ask King David.
May God help us, to determine to build our families wisely.